Brian E. Brown's Bakers Dozen Collections
For the past several years I have been OCRing stories from the pulps and sending them to Pulpgen for reprinting. And then one day -- Poof! -- Pulpgen was gone. For a time I wondered what I was going to do with myself since I enjoyed reading those old pulp stories. And then I got the idea to do this. A series of ePub collectins of the stories I had been preparing for Pulpgen. The challenger I set for myself was to collect thirteen stories in the chosen genre by (if possible) thirteen different authors selected from thirteen differemt magazines.
Beb's Bakers Dozen-01-Detective Stories 01
- The Ghost Wore Boots By Richard B. Sale. Detective Fiction Weekly, Feb. 2 1935.
- Clip-Joint Adventuress By Frank Gruber. Detective Romance Jan. 1937.
- Snatchers Are Suckers by Robert C. Donohue. Black Book Detective, March 1942.
- Suicide Satchel By J. Lane Linklater. Secret Agent X, Dec. 1935.
- Killer for Sale! By John Bender. Captain Zero, Nov. 1949.
- Balance of Power by Jerome Severs Perry. Spicy Detective, June, 1936.
- Satan Takes a Picture by Paul Ernst Detective Tales July 1937.
- These Shoes Are Killing Me by Leroy Yerxa. Mammoth Detective May 1943.
- Death Is Waiting by John L. Benton. G-Men Detective Oct 1943.
- Pop-off Rookie by Leo Hoban. Masked Detective Dec. 1941.
- Death's Race by G. Wayman Jones. Thrilling Detective, July 1932.
- An Order for Murder By Steve Fisher . Popular Detective, March 1936.
- Hideaway in Hell by Arthur Leo Zagat. Detective Tales, Dec. 1935.
total: 66,600 words
Beb's Bakers Dozen-02-Western Stories 01
- Desert Dust by Hapsburg Liebe. Ace-High Dec. 18, 1932.
- A Six-gun Showdown By Carl Rogers. Ace High, Nov. 3 1932.
- The Tameness of the Wild West by William H. Greene. The Argosy, Feb. 1912.
- Night Raid by Ernest Haycox. Fromtier Stories, Apr, 1929.
- Dandy Boy and the Hon'rable Mawde by Annesley Burrowes. Short Stories, April, 1916.
- Riders of the Rain by Allan R. Bosworth. Popular Western Nov.1941.
- The Card on the Beam by Nevil G. Henshaw. Railroad Man's June 1910.
- TASCOSA PARTNERS by Robert Moore Williams, Mammoth Westerns, Dec. 1946.
- When Brother Are Men by Wayne D. Overholser. Popular Western, Nov. 1941.
- The Riders of Ramapo Pass by Dean L. Heffernan. All-Story Weekly, Dec. 20, 1919.
- The Renegade of Painted Mesa By Ruth Anderson. Thrilling Ranch, Mov. 1933.
- The Running of Silver River by C. F. Bourke. Munsey's Magazine. Mar 1908,
- Desert Drift by John Briggs Short Stories, Oct. 1, 1923.
total 89,000 words
Beb's Bakers Dozen-03-Early Science Fiction 01
- Into Space By Sterner St. Paul (S.P. Meek) Astounding Stories Feb. 1930.
- The Second Shell by Jack Williamson. Air Wonder Stories, Nov. 1929.
- The Lunar Chrysalis by Raymond Gallun. Amazing Stories, Sept. 1931.
- Spawn of the Stars By Charles Willard Diffin Astounding, Feb, 1930.
- The Atom Smasher by P. Schuyler Miller . Amazing Stories, Jan. 1934.
- The Time Tragedy by Raymond A. Palmer. Wonder Stories, Dec. 1934.
- The Flame-Worms of Yokku by Hal K. Wells. Amazing Stories, March 1933.
- The Heat Ray by O. L. Beckworth. Air Wonder Stories, April 1930.
- The World of the Red Sun by Clifford Simek. Wonder Stories, Dec. 1931,
- The Planetoid of Peril By Paul Ernst. Astounding Stories Nov. 1931.
- The Time Anniihilator by Edgar A, Manley and Walter Thode. Wonder Stories, Nov. 1930.
- Brain of Venus by John Russell Fear. Thrilling Wonder, February 1937.
- The Molten Bullet by Anthony Rud. Thrilling Wonder, June 1937.
Total 111,660 words
Beb's Bakers Dozen-04-Haunting Stories 01
- The Closing Hand by Farnsworth Wright. Weird Tales March 1923.
- The Terror by Night By Charles Willard Diffin. Strange Tales. Jan. 1933.
- In the House of Screaming Skulls by M. Bouillard As told to Ed Poirers. Ghost Stories, Dec. 1926.
- The Man Who Was Dead by Helen Topping Miller. All-Story Weekly March 3, 1917.
- A Grave for Grogan by Norman A. Daniels. Black Book Detective, March 1942.
- The Black Laugh by William J. Makin. Strange Tales, January 1932.
- The Accusing Voice by Meredith Davis. Weird Tales March 1923.
- The Tide on the Moaning Bar by Fannie Hodgson Burnett. The Argosy Oct. 1899.
- Man Who Paid By Jim Preston as told to Will Whitmore. Ghost Stories, Oct. 1926.
- Fulfillment by Will Garth. Strange Stories. Apr. 1939.
- The Volcanologist by Philip M. Fisher, jr. All-Story Weekly, Oct. 4, 1919.
- The Cult of the Dead by Gabriel Wilson. Strange Stories, Oct/ 1939.
- The Image of Sesphra by James Branch Cabell. Romance, Oct. 1920,
total words: 64,500.
Beb's Bakers Dozen-05-Adventure Stories 01
- Down Among the Dead Men by S. Ten Eyck Bourke. Munsey's Magazine. Oct. 1915.
- Patrols of Peril by Frederick C. Davis. Air Stories, August 1927.
- Safari Slayer by Charles S. Strong. Thrilling Adventure, Feb. 1943.
- The Skeleton By B. M. Bower, The Popular Oct. 1909.
- The Fetish Stick by Edgar Wallace. Adventure, 1st Apr 1918,0
- Right Smack at You! By W. Wirt Frontier Stories, Apr, 1929.0
- The Dagger of Macbeth by Stephen Chalmers. All-Story Weekly May 22, 1920.
- The Beloved of Allah by Eugene A. Clanncy. Argosy April 24, 1920.
- Jerk Gets Girl by V. V. Dredaine. Mammoth Adventure, Sept 1947.
- “Bwana, Beware The Devil's Belly!” by Captain Hugh Thomason. Jungle Stories, Winter 1941.
- Some Pearls and a Swine by Cark Clausen. Romance October 1920.
- The Fetish of Remorse by Achmed Abdullah. Short Stories. April 1916.
- Sand and Diamonds By Victor Rousseau. Action Stories, Sept. 1926.
total words: 80.300
Beb's Bakers Dozen-06-Detective Stories 02
- He Gave Him a Gun by Laurence Donovan. Exciting Detective, Oct. 1940.
- Guiltless Murder by Robert R. Mill. Blue Book, Apr. 1937.
- A Pearl of Price by Raymond S. Spears. Munsey's Magazine. July, 1908.
- Racket Toll by Frank Gruber. Crime Buster, Feb, 1938. (Jim Strong #6)
- The Chinese Box by C. K. M. Scanlon. Black Book Detective/ Jan. 1948.
- The Dead Client By J. Lane Linklater. Detective Fiction Weekly Dec. 2, 1933.
- The Case of the Golden Lily By Francis D. Grierson. Weird Tales, Oct. 1923.
- Death's Advance Shadow by Arthur J. Burks. Phantom Detective, April 1941.
- The Murder Masterpiece By G. T. Fleming-Roberts. Secret Agent X, Sept 1934.
- The Ten-dollar Hunch by Robert Sidney Bowen. Popular Detective, March 1938.
- The Love That Kills by Norvell W. Page. Detective Tales, Dec. 1935.
- The Dead Are Always With Us by Clint Morgan (ps Edwin Truett Long). Spicy Detective, June 1936.
- Don't Fence Me out by Brett Halliday, Mammoth Detective, August 1945. Art: Fuqua.
total words: 61,500